Talks on development cooperation between the Government of the Federal Republic of Somalia and the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany were held in Berlin on 04 October 2017.
The delegation of the Federal Republic of Somalia was led by H.E. Gamal Mohamed Hassan, Minister of Planning, Investment and Economic Development (MoPIED).
The delegation of the Federal Republic of Germany was led by Dr Stefan Oswald, Director for Sub-Sahara Africa, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The talks took place in an open atmosphere of constructive cooperation. The results of the talks are recorded below.
- Basic Supply of Water and Sanitary Services
- Sustainable Land Management in Somalia.
- Strengthening the Health System as well.
The following points are what have been agreed to be the technical cooperation:
- Promoting Livelihoods by Improved Livestock Farming and Agriculture
- Support to the Return of Somali Refugees and Internally Displaced Personsthrough a Community-oriented Approach to Reintegration in Somalia
- Improving Food and Nutrition Security of Vulnerable Population in overallSomalia through Access to Fishery Products
- Sustainable Road Maintenance
- Project / Supporting the Road Authorities in Somalia
- Promoting Maternal and Child Health and Improved Nutrition in Somalia
- Sustainable Land Management in overall Somalia
- Better Migration Management”, Regional Programme Horn of Africa (KhartoumProcess)
THIRD ACTORS FINANCED BY BMZ1 this portion of the agreement was not detailed enough.
The Somali and the German outlined the general direction of future development cooperation and agreed upon concrete projects and additional contributions.
Both delegations agreed that significant overlap exists between the political priorities of their governments as detailed in key documents including in particular the Somalia National Development Plan 2017-2019 and the German Marshall Plan with Africa (M- Plan).Also they have agreed to support resilience, economy, and peace and dialogue.
Finally, it was agreed to have the next talks on development cooperation between the Government of the Federal Republic of Somalia and the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany to take place in 2018.
After we concluded the bilateral meeting, we paid a courtesy visit to the Somali Embassy in Berlin, Germany. And we had a productive meeting with the Ambassador and the staff.