Federal Government of Somalia
Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development (MoPIED)
National Development Council (NDC) Meeting
Jazeera Palace Hotel, Mogadishu, January 22-23, 2018
Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Communiqué of the NDC Meeting
The National Development Council (NDC), which is under the current mechanism of the National Development Plan (NDP) framework, is a critical structure of the implementation of the NDP priorities and result frameworks. NDC comprises the Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development (MoPIED) and Ministries of Planning at the Federal Member States (FMS), and it is a platform that both levels share information and exchange ideas.
The following are strategic and technical outcomes that all NDC members have agreed:
- NDC members welcome the recent travels of President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (Farmaajo) to some Federal Member States, such as Puntland and Galmudug
- NDC members also welcome the launch of DINA-RRF project that is planned to take place on January 30th, 2018.
- NDC members approve aid coordination projects that are led by the Aid Coordination Unit that comes under the Prime Minister’s Office.
- NDC members call that all implementing agencies and development corporations should align their interventions to maximize impact and to make sure that all projects are implemented in a timely manner so as to reduce transaction costs.
- NDC members urge donors to consider the institutional development needs of Somalia and to support development instruments that are flexible and tailored to further strengthen institutions.
- NDC members underscore that donor funded programs require significant resources from national institutions, which weaken our capacity to manage public institutions.
- NDC members urge that it is important to make sure required resources are provided to national institutions to deliver services.
- NDC members call for the donor and implementing agencies to align their projects to maximize impacts in line with the NDP priorities.